Mike Sanders recently had the opportunity to photograph this nice 1966 ALF in Carlisle. Prior to Carlisle, it was originally delivered to Annandale, VA and then to Navy-Vale, VA (Now the Fair Oaks VFD) – both departments in Fairfax County. Very interesting history and now owned by collector Mike Snyder and his Dad Bob in Carlisle, PA, where the ALF went after Navy-Vale VFD in Fairfax County.
The history is pretty extensive on this ALF……..here goes:
1. 1966 ALF 900 1000/300 with s/n 7-1-248 delivered to Annandale, Virginia in March of 1966. Painted red and white, it ran as Engine 8 until 1970.
2. In 1970, it was reassigned to Annandale Station 23, where it ran as Engine 23 until May of 1978.
3. Sold to Navy-Vale, Virginia (Fairfax County Station 21 – now the Fair Oaks VFD) in 1978 where it ran as Engine 21 until December of 1983.
4. Sold to Carlisle, PA Friendship VFC in 1984. Extensively modified by Carlisle VFD and Interstate Mack. Sold in 1990.
5. Sold to Franklin Borough FD in Cambria County, PA in 1991. They added a canvas top.
6. Sold to Bartley, Nebraska – Red Willow County in 1997. They continued with the canvas top.
7. Sold to Mike Snyder of Carlisle, PA. Mike was notified by a friend that the ALF was available via the internet. Purchased sight unseen by Mike late 2015/early 2016. The FD sent him a video of the ALF driving around town to verify it was running.
8. Some work (mechanical and cleaning) done by Mike and Bob (Mike’s Dad) as well as add some original equipment that Carlisle still had for the ALF. A comment made by Bob that it was nice to see the ALF still had wood shelves in the compartments that he personally made.
Carlisle, PA - Cumberland County
Chemical Wagon 42
1966 ALF 900/1984 FD and Interstate Mack
1000/300/250 foam/250 foam – two 250 gallon foam tanks
1984 Carlisle Fire Department – added front intake, foam plumbing. This work done in house by FD members
1984 Interstate Mack – painted, raised side body, rust, diamond plate
Submitted by Mike Sanders - Winchester, VA