ODHFS Central Region Members;
Frist, I'm sorry for the delay in my February newsletter but I kept waiting for some new news to pass on to you but until this weekend when I learned about Farmville finally being allowed to have their 150th Anniversary Parade, I had nothing new to report. So here is what I have so far:
• First a correction, in my January newsletter I said we would be having an Officers and Directors meeting on March 27th that would be open to all members. Unfortunately, due to continuing COVID restrictions, an in person meeting for everyone is not possible and due to IT limitations it will only be open to Officers and Directors. If you have an issue that needs to be addressed, please contact President Tommy Herman (I will be attempting to zoom in to the meeting from out of state).
• March 10-13, 2021 SPAAMFAA Winter Meeting in York PA. See SPAAMFAA website for more details.
• April 18, 2021 2 PM Farmville Fire Department's 150 Anniversary Parade. This parade was originally scheduled for last October. Registration is required by April 9 and more information is available by contacting Dan Pempel at ReoFire@aol.com. An information flyer is attached.
• May 1, 2021 Bring back the Bloom Fire Truck Rodeo and Static Display Winchester VA. While the Apple Blossom Parade has been canceled for 2021, the ODHFS Northern Region will be conducting this event. A flyer is attached with more information.
• June 5, 2021 Virginia Fire & EMS Memorial Service This service will honor those who gave the ultimate sacrifice in calendar years 1999 and 2000 ( last year's service was not held due to COVID restrictions). Plans for this year's service continue to evolve. The latest draft plan is to not have one large service at the Richmond Raceway Complex as has been done in the past but to have four smaller concurrent services at different locations in the Commonwealth. Each of these smaller services would have strict limitations on the number of participants and at this point it is unknown if / how many apparatus will be wanted at each service. I will let you know more after the plans are finalized.
• October 9, 2021 10:00 AM ODHFS Annual Muster at Wilck's Lake Park in Farmville VA. Registration opens in July. As of today, the park is still closed due to Covid restrictions but with other events opening up throughout the Commonwealth, it is hoped we will be allowed to have our Muster there as planned so add this to your calendar. Please note that due to the two universities in the town, hotels in the area fill up quickly on weekends. Therefore if you will need lodging, it is recommended you make the arrangements ASAP. Here is a link that shows the available facilities in the area: https://visitfarmville.com/places-to-stay/. For more information on the Muster contact Floyd Greene.
Thank you to those who have submitted their 2021 dues renewal. Even though 2020 was a very slow year for parades and gatherings for our members, ODHFS still has expenses (insurance, Internet fees, newsletters, etc.) that continue even during a Pandemic. If you lost your renewal letter, please send your $15 to ODHFS; P.O. Box 4196; Chester VA 23831. You can also pay your annual dues online at the ODHFS Website Store.
That's all that I have so far. If you learn of any parades or events our Members would be interested in, be sure to let me and web chief Jack Sullivan know about them.