Recent Member News:
We have two more new members to welcome this month. Thomas Owens and Thomas Woodford. Hopefully they can make it out to Apple Blossom this year and get to meet many
Another friendly reminder that a couple of folks may have overlooked, paying their dues for 2021. Remember our membership year runs from January to December. If you’re not sure if you’re paid up, just contact me and I can let you know.
On Wednesday, March 24th the Loudoun County Combined Fire Rescue System (LCCFRS) held their 4th annual System Awards Ceremony. A couple of those recognized were our own ODHFS and Northern Region members Pete West who was entered into the Hall of Fame and Cyrus Tang, who was named the Firefighter of the Year. Cyrus is also the most recent Sterling VFC Technician of the Year.
Apple Blossom News:
This year our event will be on Saturday May 1st, from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m., at the Apple Blossom Mall in Winchester, VA. This will not be in our usual format. This is a static display
only, along with the fire truck rodeo and modern apparatus display. All apparatus will be mixed together. All registered participants and volunteers will receive a FREE lunch.
This event is subject to change or cancellation beyond our control!
Apple Blossom Helpers Needed:
We are looking for members who would be willing to help out at Apple Blossom this year. We need still need a several more helpers to fill in with various duties. Remember this is our
Region’s big event of the year! Just contact me for more info. FREE lunch provided for all volunteers!
On March 27th an meeting of the ODHFS Officers and Directors was held virtually. There are several items of interest to share:
The ODHFS is trying a pilot program using the SPOND app to help with communications of the club. You can read more in your Spring 2021 Torchbearer Newsletter on page 10. Then give your opinion please!
The inventory that was sold from the old Club Storage trailer is still available to all club members. It is now owned by and located at the Virginia Fire Museum in Roanoke. For
access, ODHFS members can contact Western Region Director Rob Farris @ (540) 580-8550.
The new ODHFS t-shirts will be available at Apple Blossom, plus other Club merchandise. Also, a new ALF shirt may also be ready too!
The Northern Region Treasurers 2020 report is available to ODHFS Northern Region members on request.
The Northern Region is working on a display board to help display all of our Dash Plaques from the Apple Blossom events we’ve had. We don’t have a full collection and are looking
for a few missing ones. We’re hoping some of you may be willing to donate back one if you have them. A big shout out to Pete West who has offered to donate a bunch of the ones we are looking for back to us. Also, thanks to Rocky Keplinger for filling us in on the history of the dash plaques. He answered a bunch of questions and helped fill in the blanks. Still trying to find a couple of others. These were bought out by their featured department and hard to find. The ones we still need are: 1998 Woodstock VFD Hand Pumper and the 2000 Orange VFD Seagrave Squad
ODHFS Webpage and Event Tracker:
Do you have access to the ODHFS Webpage? Lots of member only extra information can be accessed by you and also to help record events you attend. If you’re a member in good standing, contact Jack Sullivan at ODHFSwebchief@gmail.com to be set up for access.
• May 1st- Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival “Bring Back the Bloom” Fire Truck Rodeo and Static Display. 10 a.m. until 3 p.m., at the Winchester Apple Blossom
Mall. See flyer below for more details and link to register.
• Sat. May 15th 2021 ALL DAY - ATHS Shenandoah Valley Chapter Show at the Bridgewater Lawn Party Grounds in Bridgewater, VA. For more details and information: http://www.shenandoahvalley-aths.org
• Thu. Jun 3rd 2021 to Sat. Jun 5th 2021 ALL DAY - ATHS National Convention & Truck Show. Will be held at the Rockingham County Fairgrounds in Harrisonburg, VA. Registration and Event Info here: https://aths.org/convention/
• Sat. Jun 5th 2021 TBA - Virginia Fire & EMS Memorial Service - Save the date! This service will honor those who gave the ultimate sacrifice in calendar years 2019 and 2020 (last years’ service was not held due to COVID restrictions). Plans for this years’ service continue to evolve. The latest draft plan is to not have one large service at the Richmond Raceway Complex as has been done in the past but to have four smaller concurrent services at different locations in the Commonwealth. Each of these smaller services would have strict limitations on the number of participants and at this point it is unknown if any or how many apparatus will be wanted at each service. I will let you know more after the plans are finalized. Floyd Greene
• Sat. Jun 5th 2021 9:00am - 2:00pm - Chesapeake Antique Fire Apparatus Assoc. Muster Pleasant Valley FD, Pleasant Valley, MD
• October 9, 2021 10:00 a.m., ODHFS Annual Muster at Wilck’s Lake Park in Farmville VA. Registration opens in July. As of today, the park is still closed due to Covid restrictions but with other events opening up throughout the Commonwealth, it is hoped we will be allowed to have our Muster there as planned so add this to your calendar. Please note that due to the two universities in the town, hotels in the area fill up quickly on weekends. Therefore, if you will need lodging, it is recommended you make the arrangements ASAP. Here is a link that shows the available facilities in the area: https://visitfarmville.com/places-to-stay/. For more information on the Muster contact Floyd Greene at: FloydPowhatan@gmail.com.
Reminder that all events are subject to change beyond our control!
David Gantt, ODHFS Northern Region Director