ODHFS Central Region Members;
It's always great to start out my newsletter welcoming another new member to ODHFS. Lee Williams, originally from Blackstone and most recently retired from Chesterfield County Fire, has joined us. Lee is the 8th new member who has joined ODHFS in the Central Region since January 1. It's always good to keep a few ODHFS membership applications in your car to give to prospective members; or point them to our website; or point them to me or Tommy.
I assume most of you saw the link I sent you last week of the CBS News 6 segment that featured Tommy Herman and his collection. In case you missed it, here it is again: https://www.wtvr.com/waynes-world/hindenburg-fire-truck
The following are events that I know about in the region, close to the region, or ODHFS sponsored events in other regions. As always, the most up to date list of all statewide events is on the ODHFS website calendar. Likewise, if you know of an event that our members would be interested in, send it to both Jack Sullivan and me.
- May 14 3rd Annual Breakthrough Car Show Pamplin Park, Petersburg. 10AM - 3 PM To register or for more information see www.pamplinpark.org or contact Colin Romanick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 4 Virginia Fire and EMS Memorial Service Richmond Raceway Complex. This year's service will be honoring 4 members of Virginia's Fire and EMS family who made the ultimate sacrifice in 2021. In-service apparatus from area departments and antique apparatus from ODHFS are displayed inside and outside the Exhibition Hall where the ceremony is held. Apparatus on display inside MUST be in place no later than 9 AM and must expect to be there until at least 2 PM. If you have a vehicle you would like to display contact Floyd Greene NO LATER THAN May 29th. Others without apparatus are welcome to attend the service and/or assist Floyd with apparatus load in and parking of all vehicles outside. Lunch will be provided.
- June 4 Antique Automobile Club of America, Antique Automobile Show. Fredericksburg VA $20 registration fee due by June 1, 2022. For more information contact J. Gordan Brown 703-725-7948
- June 11 Richmond Region AACA Collector Car Show and Swap Meet St Joseph's Villa, Henrico More information at www.RichmondCarShow.com.
- July 4 Brandermill Community Independence Day Parade Western Chesterfield Line-up at Swift Creek Middle School at 0900 with parade at 1000. ODHFS units will be at the end of the parade so we can have as many units at the parade as show up and there is no formal registration. I would suggest you notify me if you are planning on attending so I can notify you of any last minute changes or diseases that might occur.
- July 16 VA Fire Museum Open House and SFCAV Member Apparatus Display. 1O AM - 4 PM 1090 Service Ave. Ext,; Roanoke VA 24013. Space is limited so if you desire to display an apparatus you must email email@example.com to register. Contact Johanna Schmersal @ 301-524-3644 if you have any questions.
- August 6 Southern Knights Big Car Show 8 AM - 5 PM Richard Bland College, 11,301 Johnson RD, South Prince George, VA 23805
- September 16,17,18 Field Day of the Past Amelia. Contact Jeff Sedivy 804-241-1785 to register or if you have questions. I usually coordinate ODJFS's display each year but I will not be there on any of the days this year. If you are planning on being there and can handle the little bit of coordination required, please contact me.
- October 8 ODHFS Annual Muster, Wilck's Lake Park Farmville. More information later but if you desire to stay in the area, I recommend you make your reservations now. With two colleges in Farmville, there is something going on every weekend and the hotels fill up fast.
Remember. If you go to a car show or any other event, whether or not you have an apparatus on display, please have a few ODHFS membership applications with you to hand out. If you need some applications, contact Tommy or me.
804-347-9016 (leave message)