ODHFS Central Region Members;
I'm home from my wonderful cross country trip. Along the way I visited several fire related places of interest including Tulsa Station 66, "The Protectors of the Mother Road"; the Oklahoma Firefighters Museum and Memorial; the Phoenix Hall of Flame, the world's largest fire museum (I planned to stay two hours but ended up staying 5 1/2); and certainly related to the fire service, the Oklahoma City Bombing National Memorial. I went to the CalFire Museum in San Bernardino CA but it was closed as "all hands" were busy with a fire in the adjacent county (that had ash falling where I was staying the night before).
The following are events that I know about in the region, close to the region, or ODHFS sponsored events in other regions. As always, the most up to date list of all statewide events is on the ODHFS website calendar at: https://www.odhfs.org/calendar.html . Likewise, if you know of an event that our members would be interested in, send it to both Jack Sullivan and me.
- October 8 ODHFS Annual Muster, Wilck's Lake Park 1623 W. Third Street, Farmville. Free to attend and display apparatus. As of today the weather forecast is sunny all day with temperatures in the mid-60's. So far I have 26 apparatus and other displays registered to attend.
- 9AM Check In
- 10:00 AM Muster/Flea Market/Apparatus Judging & Lots of stories told
- Noon Cookout by VA Fire Museum for those that pre-register by Sept. 30 for the $10.00 meal (pay on site). 12 and under free lunch.
- 1 PM ODHFS Membership Meeting
- 2 PM Trophies Awarded
A flyer is available along with all details at: https://www.odhfs.org/news.html?view=1&id=89727&stx=0
I am in need of assistance with Registration, parking of apparatus and public vehicles, serving as the Safety Officer, greeting the public, etc. If you could get there by 8 AM that would be great but anytime you could help would be appreciated. Let me know if you can help.
- October 15 Richmond Touch-a-Truck event by the Junior League of Richmond Richmond Raceway Complex 9 AM - 3 PM. 5000 attendees expected. ODHFS has been invited to participate and we have registered. Those displaying an apparatus must be in place between 6 and 7:30 AM. Breakfast and lunch provided for two per each vehicle. If you plan on attending you must notify Tommy Herman.
- October 22 Chesterfield County 1st Responder Gala 17,901 River Road. Corrections & Updates from the last newsletter: ODHFS has been invited to display apparatus, especially ex-Chesterfield County apparatus. Apparatus on display must be in place by 11:30 AM and the event begins at Noon. Tommy Herman is unable to attend but I am planning on attending. Tommy is still looking for drivers to take some of his fleet so if you can help him out, let him know ASAP. Also, if you are planning on attending with your apparatus, please let me know ASAP so I can let them know the number of apparatus we are planning on having there.
- October 22 James "Punkie" Kegley Memorial Car, Truck, and Bike Show Patrick Henry High School Ashland VA 10AM - 3 PM. $20 registration fee. For more information and to register contact: Punkie_Schlorship.firstname.lastname@example.org
- October 29 Trunk or Treat Festival geared towards "differently abled" children. Huguenot Commons, 1507 Huguenot RD Midlothian VA. IF you can attend with an apparatus please contact Dana Hatton email@example.com and also let me know.
- October 29 Cruise In and Fall Festival Enon Baptist Church 13,607 N. Enon Church RD Chester. If you can attend this event with your apparatus or can help Tommy move some of his fleet please contact him at 804-590-1239.
- November 5 Highway Heros / Public Safety Demo Day at Chesterfield FairGrounds 10 AM - 3 PM. If you can attend with your apparatus or can help Tommy move some of his fleet please contact him at 804-590-1239.
- November 20 Ashland / Hanover Old Time Holiday Parade 2 PM For more information or to register see: https://ashlandvakiwanis.org/Page/31094.
- December 4 Tappahannock Winterfest Parade 4 PM For more information and/or to register (by November 12) see: https://tappahannockmainstreet.org/winterfest
- December 6 Colonial Heights Christmas parade Line up at 7 PM. ODHFS (and all participants) can only have a limited number of vehicles in the parade so if you are interested in participating you MUST contact Tommy Herman 804-590-1239.
- December 10 Powhatan Christmas Parade More information will be sent out later.
- December 11 Chester Kiwanis Christmas Parade 2 PM. Line-up 1 PM in the Kohl's Parking lot beside Chesterfield Fire and EMS Station #14. Note: RT10 will be shut down between Chester and RT 1 starting at 1 PM so plan accordingly. ODHFS can have an unlimited number of apparatus at this parade so requirement to pre-register but if you want me to be able to contact you if the parade is canceled due to bad weather, locust attack, etc. let me know you will be attending.
Floyd - FloydPowhatan@gmail.com
804-347-9016 (leave message)