Our Web Chief Jack Sullivan is working to get our website up and running fully. The sole owner of the service ODHFS has used for years died suddenly with no plan in place to operate the business without him. So all organizations that used that service are in the same sunken boat we are in. For now, you can still get to our website following the instructions attached to this email. If you have any questions DON’T waste your time asking me, contact Jack.
I’m happy to welcome a new member to the Central Region, Tim Newcomb. Tim lives in Powhatan and owns the 1979 CF Mack that was most recently owned by Georg and Kay Miles. In an earlier life it served as E-33 in the Bensley area of Chesterfield County.
If you are planning on attending our Muster in Farmville on October 14th and have not registered, please do so ASAP:
- If you are displaying an apparatus or selling something at the flea market, please complete the online registration detailed below, OR scan/email the attached registration form to Tommy Herman OR call Tommy Herman. Tom-Herman@att.net 804-590-1239 ( I will get your names for the badges off the form you submit).
- If you are NOT displaying an apparatus but are planning on attending, please email me with the first names of everyone attending with you so I can print the name badges ahead of time. FloydPowhatan@gmail.com
In the recent weeks I have gotten information on several events/parades coming up this fall and during the holiday season. Some of these have early registration deadlines, so if you are planning on attending, don’t hesitate to register.
The following are events in the region I have been told about. As always, the most up to date statewide list of events can be found on the ODHFS website. If you know of events in your area that you think should be listed, please send them to me and our Webb Chief Jack Sullivan at: ODHFSWebChief@gmail.com
- October 12,13,14, 2023 Berea Baptist Church in Rockville VA Accident Scene Dramatization each evening. They are in need of a “modern looking” apparatus to assist them with this event. If you can assist contact Eugene “Cricket” Gerald 804-310-7197.
- October 12, 2023 Beulah Recreation Center, Chesterfield County Fire Prevention Event 6901 Hopkins RD, North Chesterfield. They have requested an antique apparatus to be on display at this event. If you can attend, please call Kim Rideout at Chesterfield Fire and EMS. 804-748-193 ASAP.
- October 14, 2023 ODHFS Annual Muster Wilcks Lake Isle Park, 1623 W. Third Street, Farmville VA. 9 AM- 3 PM.
Information about the muster, schedule of events, etc. can be found here.
- If you are planning on attending WITHOUT an apparatus, please let Floyd Greene know the first names of all in your party planning to attend so we can pre-print the name tags.
- If you are planning on attending with an apparatus you need to pre-register your apparatus, including the first names of all in your party, and complete the required insurance information and certification for all apparatus you are bringing. Register apparatus one of three ways:
- On the left side of the ODHFS Webpage, click on the ODHFS Muster Registration link and complete registration on-line (note: see the temporary website access info detailed in the first paragraph of this newsletter).
- Contact Tommy Herman Tom-Herman@att.net or 804-590-1239
- October 14, 2023 Goochland Fire and Rescue Fire Show Goochland High School 5 – 9 PM. They would like to have ODHFS units on display during this event. (Maybe you could stop by on your way home from the Farmville Muster). For more information contact Chief Eddie Ferguson firstname.lastname@example.org 804-556-5304.
- October 28, 2023 Enon Baptist Church Cruise In and Fall Festival 13607 N. Enon Church RD, Chester VA. 11 AM – 1PM Cruise-In, Trunk or Treat, Free Food, and More. For more information call 804-530-1229.
- November 3, 2023 Urbanna Oyster Festival Fireman’s Parade 7 PM For more information click here.
- November 19, 2023 Ashland/Hanover Olde Time Parade 2 PM Registration Deadline October 13, 2023. Register at: www.surveymonkey.com/r/CSZX2L9. As of today I do not know of anyone from ODHFS planning on attending. If you are, go ahead and register by the deadline and let me know so if additional members plan on attending I can get you together.
- November 19, 2023 Siler City Fire Dept. 100th Anniversary Celebration and Parade in Siler City NC. Judging @ 9 AM. Parade @ 11 AM. To register or for more information contact Scott Murphy.
- December 5, 2023 Colonial Heights Christmas Parade. 7 PM. This parade limits the number of Antique Fire Apparatus that can attend, so if you desire to attend, notify Tommy Herman.
- December 9, 2023 Powhatan Christmas Parade 3 PM. Line up at Powhatan Fire Company 1. ODHFS is registered for this parade. If you are planning on attending, please let me know.
- December 10, 2023 Chester Christmas Parade 2 PM. Again this year ODHFS will be providing the “sleigh” for Santa to ride on in the parade. Other apparatus are welcome to attend but please let me know if you are planning to be there in case there are any last minute changes. Information on where we will pre-stage will be sent out closer to the parade.
804-347-9016 (leave message)